Like Larry the Flying Guy on Facebook!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

New landing technique video and more!

I've made it easier for you to keep up with what's new at Keyboard & Rudder! You can like Larry the Flying Guy on Facebook now:



And follow on Twitter, too:

Both of them will be updated more frequently than the weekly schedule here, so if you don't want to wait a week for a new post here, go and follow those, too.

It has been 9 months since I posted the last YouTube video to the Larry the Flying Guy channel. Not coincidentally, I have been an airline pilot for 8 1/2 months now.


The new YouTube channel art.

Although I actually have a lot more time off than I did back when I was a flight instructor, I'm away from home (and the computer I use to create videos) a lot more. I still have a long list of videos to create (and the list gets longer every week), just a lot less time available to make them, since when I am home I'm usually catching up on things from the last several days on the road. Blog posts are a bit easier to keep up on, since I can write those in a notebook at the hotel and type them in when I get here, which is how the Becoming an Airline Pilot Series has been rolling along in the meantime. (And will have a new post on Monday morning, in case you're missing it.)

Nonetheless, I had to feed my video creating fix this time around, so I made an updated version of one of my early videos on "the spot that does not move".

The original version was meant to just introduce the concept of the aiming point. I always intended to follow it up with one that shows how to put that concept into practice, and the new one does that. Although it is an extremely important concept, this idea is, unfortunately, almost never taught during primary instruction. Instead, the poor student is left to figure it out on their own, if they ever do.

Although I teach my students that idea as part of the pre-solo work, I did not invent this concept. Wolfgang Langewiesche, in the book I've mentioned over and over again on this blog (maybe because Keyboard and Rudder is named after it), Stick and Rudder, gets into detail about it in Chapter 15. Of course, that was written long before YouTube came along, so I carried on his work for him.


Help support Keyboard and Rudder by buying it here!

In the year between the two videos, I think I've gotten much better at making them. If you agree or disagree, feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think, suggestions for new videos that might help you, or any other feedback you have.

Since I've made almost a dozen Five Minute Flight Lesson videos, I've started tagging them with the tag 5MFL to make them easier to search for, and I created a Five Minute Flight Lesson playlist, too.

The YouTube channel isn't the only thing growing around here. I've had the Twitter handle @Lairspeed for quite some time that has been unused, waiting for the project I intended it for to get rolling. That time is soon, so head on over there and follow me to be the first in on the fun that should start this summer! If you're a student pilot wanting to improve your knowledge, or a certificated pilot wanting to maintain and refresh that knowledge in a quick and easy way, you'll definitely want to for a fast, free, and fun way to do that!

The author is an airline pilot, flight instructor, and adjunct college professor teaching aviation ground schools. He holds an ATP certificate with a DHC-8 type rating, as well as CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, and IGI certificates, and is a FAASafety Team representative and Master-level participant in the FAA's WINGS program. He is on Facebook as Larry the Flying Guy, has a Larry the Flying Guy YouTube channel, and is on Twitter as @Lairspeed.

It takes hours of work to bring each Keyboard & Rudder post to you. If you've found it useful, please consider making an easy one-time or recurring donation via PayPal in any amount you choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment